Reports from the Municipal Health Office (MHO) of Mariveles show that 144 people were afflicted with the disease from July 29 to September 30.
The situation prompted Mayor Jesse I. Concepcion to declare a disease outbreak in the first week of September in four villages, namely Camaya, Baseco, Malaya and Sisiman. These are villages with a recorded highest number of cases.
Records show that the first week of September accounted for the highest number of Chikungunya cases with 38 and in the last week of the month it has dropped to only three cases.
Teams from the Provincial Health Office (PHO), MHO of Mariveles, Municipal Environment and Natural Resources Office and barangay tanod have been deployed to do fogging operations in the 18 barangays of the town.
“We are continuously doing search and destroy operations against the breeding sites of mosquitoes. Every barangay undergoes fogging,” Concepcion said.
Danny Velasco, municipal health officer of Mariveles, said no casualty due to the disease has been recorded but they cannot lift yet the outbreak status because many people are still affected even though the trend is declining.
“At present, we are doing fogging operations. We have advised all barangays to do search and destroy of mosquito-breeding sites in their respective areas with the assistance of our health workers,” Velasco said.
PHO sanitary engineer Eugene Ramirez said fogging operation in all barangays of Mariveles have been conducted with Barangay Ipag being the last to undergo fogging operations that ended on Thursday.