A model government housing facilities is rising in the fishing village of Daang Pare intended for more or less 1,000 fisherfolks displaced by raging fire last year.
Jointly financed by the National Housing Authority, municipal and provincial governments, the P1 billion housing project broke ground on Saturday to signal a bright hope for displaced residents most of whom marginalized fishermen who lived by the sea.
In January 29 last year, the sub-village (sitio) of Depensa in Barangay Capunitan, Orion was hit by mid-morning fire of still uncertain origin literally leveling the whole sub-village prompting the municipal government to declare a state of calamity. The homeless families were temporarily sheltered at the nearby Bataan School of Fisheries where many of them are still staying.
Bataan Gov. Albert Raymond Garcia who once again celebrated his birthday Saturday with fisher folks said he envisions the housing project for local fishermen as a model and first of its kind in the country. “This is where residents can live near the place where they source their own livelihood, fishing and school, daycare center and security force complete with CCTV,” said the governor.
Orion Mayor Tonypep Raymundo said the municipal and provincial governments purchased the six-hectare land. Land development cost the government P191 million.
The said housing project that will be called 1Bataan Village will be composed of three phases complete with amenities such as a multipurpose building, a fish drying area, and a parking space for bancas.
Each phase is composed of 2,872 three-storey buildings that can accommodate at least 2,872 dwelling units. lGREG REFRACCION