Agency of the Philippine government under the Department of National Defense, responsible for the production of basic weaponry and ammunition for the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), and the Philippine National Police (PNP), among others.
To design, manufacture, procure, stockfile and allocate small arms, weapons, ammunition for these weapons and other munitions for the AFP, PNP and other government law enforcement agencies and to sell and export excess products.
The Government Arsenal is located on a 370-hectare defense industrial estate in Lamao, Limay, Province of Bataan, about 120 km from Manila by land, 70 km from Subic and 90 km from Clark. Just three km from the Port of Limay, the Arsenal is strategically situated near the Petron Bataan Refinery, the Bataan Combined Cycle Power Plant, the National Power Corporation Plant, the Petro-Chemical Complex, and the Special Economic Zone at Mariveles, Bataan. To sustain its operations, the GA presently maintains and operates 124 buildings and structures sprawled over 70 hectares of land.
A creation of Republic Act No. 1884 which was signed into law on June 22, 1957, the Arsenal is a line bureau under the Department of National Defense. However, it was only about a decade later, on March 7, 1967, that a presidential proclamation on its present site at Limay, Bataan was declared. Accordingly, on October 12, 1967, the ground breaking materialized at the spot where the statue of General Antonio Luna now stands. Site preparations were subsequently undertaken by the 514th and 564th Engineering Construction Battalions of the 51st Engineering Brigade of the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP). Construction of essential buildings and facilities then followed along with training abroad of selected military and newly hired civilian personnel on the manufacture of small arms ammunition (SAA).
On August 15, 1971, or fourteen (14) years after the enactment of RA 1884, the first SAA cartridge rolled out of the GA’s production assembly line. Three years later, the integrated SAA manufacture began, with all the components – case, primer, propellant powder, and bullet assembled into a complete cartridge – manufactured in the arsenal.