Bataan gets highest slot for SPES

Written by
  • Mar T. S.
  • 9 years ago

 “Bataan got the most SPES slots with 6,134 followed by Pampanga with 3,676; Zambales- 3,304; Bulacan- 1,800; Nueva Ecija- 1,500; Aurora-1,221; and Tarlac-717,” Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) Regional Director Raymundo Agravante said in a statement to media.


The distribution was based on the SPES provincial performances in the last five years, and it appears that Bataan has bagged the highest number of beneficiaries.

Agravante stressed that SPES is a law-mandated program that seeks to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by giving them jobs during summer and/or Christmas vacations.

Provincial, Municipal and City Public Employment Service Offices (PESOs) select the students based on the required qualifications as to age, grades, income, and other pertinent documents.

A source from PESO said that each hired student could earn P6,150 for the duration of 20 days that he/she will work for the less than a month period. The Garcias, together with Rep. Enrique “Tet ” Garcia, 2nd district, has long been granting hundreds of millions for the scholarship of thousands of poor Bataenos in the past several years.

It was learned that in order to qualify, a student must at least be 18 years old but not more than 25 years old. Also, the combined net income after tax of his/her parents, including his/her income if any, must not exceed the latest annual poverty threshold level for a family of six as determined and provided by the National Economic and Development Authority and he/she must have obtained passing grades in the last school term attended.

Among the jobs available to SPES beneficiaries include tax mappers, barangay survey personnel, encoders, school assistants, food service crew, gasoline attendants, and promotion merchandisers.

The salaries of the students are in accordance to the prescribed minimum wage wherein DOLE shoulders the 40 percent while the remaining 60 percent comes from the participating companies and LGUs.

A total of 367 employers are taking part in the Region, consisting of 255 private firms, 99 LGUs and 13 schools.

Article Tags:
Article Categories:

Comments are closed.