banner

Garcia says flood problem can be solved; Pnoy oks P3.8B fund

Written by
  • Mar T. S.
  • 8 years ago

   DINALUPIHAN, Bataan-Still reeling from the destructive flash flooding that hit the this Northernmost  town of Bataan, Gov. Abet S Garcia assured Sunday that the government is doing all it could to resolve the problem, even as the Aquino administration, through the Department of Budget and Management (DBM), has approved the Multi-Year Obligation Authority (MYOA) of the Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) with the Korea Economic Development Cooperation Fund (EDCF).

   Speaking during the First ever Barangay Assembly launched in Barangay Pag asa here by Mayor Gila S Garcia, the bachelor governor said that although  the flooding problem is so severe “but there is no insoluble problem.”

   “Hindi man po nating mabiglang tapusin pero maunti unti natin sa pagtutulungan ng DPWH at bawat isa sa atin. Hindi man mabibiglang ilabas ang pondo ay phase by phase nating gagawin ang dredging,” Garcia said.

   The Barangay Assembly initiated ny Mayor Gila was the first ever to be launched in the region this year, said DILG director Florida Dijan, who braved the scorching heat of the sun to attend the assembly in the ricefield barangay Pag asa.

   In a news dispatch recently issues by Phil. Information Agency in Manila, it said “The MYOA will support the implementation of the flood control component of the P3.83-billion Integrated Disaster Risk Reduction and Climate Change Adaptation in the Low Lying Areas of Pampanga Bay Project, ” which is adjacent to this province.

   Gov Garcia said that a total of P2.4 billion was allocated to fund the flood project in Bataan and in nearby Lubao, Pampanga. 

   According to DIstrict Engineer Wilfredo S Mallari, 1st district, an initial P100 million had been released to be followed by another P300 million as pledged by Sec Rogelio Singson.

   Approving the MYOA gives authority to the DPWH to enter into multiple-year contracts for the flood mitigation project for more than a year, allowing the agency to partner with the EDCF to fulfill the requirements of the project for 5 years.

   “The Philippines is a very typhoon-prone country and we’ll need a good deal of support in implementing our disaster risk reduction initiatives. We’re very grateful to the Korean government and its aid arm for joining us in our bid to build durable and disaster-proof infrastructure to protect communities in low-lying areas, specifically those in Pampanga,” Sec. Florencio “Butch” Abad said in a press statement.

   The PIA said  the Aquino Administration will provide P886.1 million in total, while EDCF will contribute P 2.94 billion for the duration of the five-year project.

   Aside from the project’s flood component—which is to reduce the extent, level, and duration of flooding in Bataan and Pampanga—another component of the project aims to rehabilitate and repair school buildings for the benefit of the schools in the area.

   Garcia added that with the challenges of climate change there is  a need to strengthen the  disaster risk management capabilities, in line with the Administration’s goal of ramping up the disaster risk preparedness to avert calamity-related crises and ensure the sustainability of the province’s drive for inclusive growth and economic development.

Article Tags:
·
Article Categories:
News

Comments are closed.

Shares